Tarot card meanings will in the end depend on your interpretation and will also depend upon the type of deck you are using. When you are reading cards, try to follow your inner feelings and go with your first impressions.
Here is a compact list of some of the traditional Tarot Card Meanings:
0. The Fool - beginning, being spontaneous, having faith, youthful folly.
1. The Magician - taking charge, acting consciously, concentrating, experiencing power.
2. The High Priestess - staying nonactive, accessing the unconscious, seeing the potential, sensing the mystery.
3. The Empress - fertility, abundance, experiencing the senses, responding to nature.
4. The Emperor - fathering, emphasizing structure, exercising authority, regulating.
5. The Hierophant - getting an education, having a belief system, conforming, identifying with a group.
6. The Lovers - relating to others, sexual union, establishing personal beliefs, determining values.
7. The Chariot - The driving force, triumph, using your will, asserting yourself.
8. Strength - showing strength, being patient, being compassionate, self-discipline.
9. The Hermit - being introspective, searching, receiving and giving guidance, seeking solitude.
10. Wheel of Fortune - destiny, being at a turning point, feeling movement, having a personal vision.
11. Justice - respecting justice, assuming responsibility, preparing for a decision, understanding cause and effect.
12. The Hanged Man - self-sacrifice, letting go, reversing, suspending.
13. Death - transformation, ending, eliminating excess, events beyond your control.
14. Temperance - being temperate, maintaining balance, experiencing health, combining forces.
15 The Devil - experiencing bondage, focusing on the material, staying in ignorance, feeling hopeless.
16. The Tower - going through sudden change, releasing, falling down, having a revelation.
17. The Star - hope, inspired, generous, feeling serene.
18. The Moon - feeling fear, believing illusions, stimulating the imagination, feeling bewildered.
19. The Sun - becoming enlightened, experiencing greatness, feeling vitality, having assurance.
20. Judgment - making a decision, feeling reborn, hearing a call, finding absolution.
21. The World - integrating, accomplishing, becoming involved, feeling fulfilled.
It's probably a good idea to pick up a Tarot Card Meanings guide to refer to when you are first learning. After a while you will remember the different meanings and all you have to do is follow your feelings to make your own interpretations.